When it comes to planning your child’s birthday party, the first thing you think about is where to have it.
Depending on the type of party you would like, and how many guests you are thinking of inviting, determines whether you need the party at home or in a hall.
To help you with this, I have listed the benefits and disadvantages of both options to help you decide which will suit your party needs –
HALL PARTIES – BENEFITS
- Convenience – you don’t have to worry about how many people you want to invite, and the mess stays in the hall so all you have to do is tidy up and go home!
- You have a blank canvas – which means you can set your theme and choose your decor without worrying about wall paper clashes!
- More room – you don’t have to cram loads of kids in and worry about them running around, plenty of room in big halls
- You’re more open to ideas – do you want to fit a bouncy castle in? Or have an entertainer? Either way, there is room for them without worrying about squeezing into a small space
- Lots of parking – halls usually have their own car park which is handy for your guests
- Creates atmosphere – there is something about a party in a hall that creates a lovely atmosphere and takes it away from your own personal home, which means you will always remember where you were and is a lovely talking point if you choose the ideal place.
HALL PARTIES – DISADVANTAGES
- Expense – with children’s parties costing so much, having a hall is an extra expense added on, but you can find reasonably priced halls in Havering and Essex if you’re not too bothered by the state they are in. Check out the halls I recommend by clicking on Party Venues on my home page.
- Timings – having to work around your entertainers times, (mine are set as 11-1pm and 3-5pm) means that halls have to as well and this may not always be convenient for you too.
HOME PARTIES – BENEFITS
- Lovely for smaller parties – if you are only inviting a handful of guests then having a party at home is ideal, it’s cosy, and personal
- Garden parties in the summer – if you have a big garden then you can combine having a BBQ with an entertainer in the garden for those perfect summer birthdays!
- You’re in the comfort of your own home – and no one knows your home better than you do!
- Saves money – you don’t have to hire a hall, or fill it with decor, so money well saved!
HOME PARTIES – DISADVANTAGES
- The worry of children running around your home – especially if you are house proud and this adds on to the stress of the party
- Too many distractions – I have entertained at many home parties in big houses, but with bedrooms full of toys, gardens full of play equipment and lots of rooms for hide and seek, it doesn’t matter how good your entertainer is, there are too many distractions for the kids if you don’t seal them off.
- The mess – yes, you have to clear up in a hall too but at least that isn’t your home! Spillages, breakables etc are all too common with house parties and one I like to avoid!
- Not enough room – there is nothing more disheartening than when I turn up to someone’s house and the amount of room hasn’t been considered. Once you fill your living room up with my set up then a handful of kids, there isn’t much room to dance. If you’re having a bouncy castle, there needs to be enough room for the generator and for it to be inflated which many don’t consider either.
As an entertainer, I much prefer parties in a hall as I have more to go with and the children feel more relaxed too but I have also done many home parties and these can be some of the best and loveliest!
I have also just booked a hall for my son’s upcoming birthday, and knowing that I don’t have to cram lots of children into my home definitely takes the stress away!
As an entertainer, I have been to many venues in Essex so if you are looking for venue ideas, pop over to my Party Venues page for some inspiration and the best halls for your next party!
Booked your venue but want an entertainer?
Jelly Jade is the perfect choice to take the stress away and do all the entertaining so you don’t have to!